by Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi, India, 2016, ISBN: 81-7122-122-X.
The present Report is the outcome of a Consultation that RIS organised in the context of BRICS outreach to BIMSTEC on 27 September 2016. The meeting deliberated on important issues of trade, investment and regional value chains and connectivity in regard to people to people contacts and BIMSTEC, BRICS and global governance. It contains an introductory chapter which highlights the key issues for strengthening economic cooperation among BIMSTEC countries alongwith brief contributions from eminent commentators in the field.
We are sure the academicians, stakeholders, policymakers and practitioners would find the publication interesting and a useful reference for future course of action for promoting economic development cooperation in the BIMSTEC sub-region.
Foreword by Ambassador Shyam Saran, Chairman, RIS
Message by Sumith Nakandala, Secretary General, BIMSTEC
Preface by Prof. Sachin Chaturvedi, Director General, RIS
1. Overview: BIMSTEC Bay of Bengal Vibrant Community
2. Rejuvenation of BIMSTEC | Sumith Nakandala
3. Strengthening BIMSTEC Secretariat | Seshadri Chari
4. Challenges before BIMSTEC | Preeti Saran
5. Trade, Investment and Regional Value Chains | S. K. Mohanty
6. Multi-Dimensional Connectivity | Ram Upendra Das
7. Challenges to a BIMSTEC Free Trade Agreement (FTA): A Sri Lankan | Janaka Wijayasiri
8. Energy Security in BIMSTEC Region | Jyoti Parikh
9. People to People Contacts | Baladas Ghoshal
10. Challenges in People to People Contact | Fahmida Khatun
11. BIMSTEC and Global Governance | Samir Saran