A Free and Fair Digital Economy: Protecting Privacy, Empowering Indians.
Report of the Committee of Experts under the Chairmanship of Justice B.N. Srikrishna, submitted on 27th July 2018 to Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India.
About the Report
Recognising the importance of data protection and keeping personal data of citizens secure and protected, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India, had constituted a Committee of Experts on 31st July 2017 under the Chairmanship of Justice B N Srikrishna, Former Judge, Supreme Court of India and comprising of members from Government, Academia and Industry to study and identify key data protection issues and recommend methods for addressing them. In December 2017, the Committee had put out a White Paper on Data Protection Framework for India, and had sought public comments and suggestions on it. Submission of responses to the White Paper was received till 31st January, 2018.
On 27th July 2018, the Committee handed over its final report to Information and Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. The report comprises recommendations, including on what personal data is, the consent requirements for using such data, and the penalties for misuse of personal data. The Committee also suggested a draft Data Protection Bill. Protection of Data is expected to provide big boost to Digital economy of the country..
Table of Contents (9 chapters)
- Chapter 1: A Free and Fair Digital Economy
- Chapter 2: Jurisdiction and Applicability
- Chapter 3: Processing
- Chapter 4: Obligations of Data Fiduciaries
- Chapter 5: Data Principal Rights
- Chapter 6: Transfer of Personal Data Outside India
- Chapter 7: Allied Laws
- Chapter 8: Non-Consensual Processing
- Chapter 9: Enforcement
- The Personal Data Protection Bill, 2018. Prepared by the Committee of Experts under the Chairmanship of Justice B.N. Srikrishna, July 2018, for the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India.
White Paper of the Committee of Experts on a Data Protection Framework for India. Prepared by the Committee of Experts under the Chairmanship of Justice B.N. Srikrishna, December 2017.
Post a Comment