- "A great way to expand your network as a PhD student and find like-minded people who I hope to keep in touch with and work with the future." 2017 participant
- "I can honestly say it has been the best 2 weeks of the PhD so far. To be in such an amazing, supportive and inspiring group has been fantastic" 2016 participant
- "Wonderful opportunity. A fantastic group of participants, and the very knowledgable faculty treated us as colleagues on this journey towards sustainable pathways together." 2014 participant
- "Beautiful to have 24 nations in the same room thinking and discussing global to local issues!" 2013 participant
- "I liked the fact that it really was an open space in which everyone's (teachers AND students) ideas and experiences could be shared and critically engaged with." 2012 participant
Friday, 13 October 2017
Call for Applications: STEPS Summer School on Pathways to Sustainability | 14-25 May 2018, at IDS, U.K.
STEPS Summer School on Pathways to Sustainability
14-25 May 2018, United Kingdom
Applications are invited for the next annual STEPS Summer School on Pathways to Sustainability on 14-25 May 2018.
Application is via an online form. The deadline is 5 pm GMT on Sunday 28 January 2018.
ABOUT THE SUMMER SCHOOL
The Summer School brings together highly-motivated doctoral and postdoctoral researchers, working in fields around development studies, science and technology studies, innovation and policy studies, and across agricultural, health, urban, water or energy issues. The aim is to explore theories, ideas, research methods and practical applications of STEPS thinking on pathways to sustainability.
The venue is the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex, near Brighton, UK. Through a mix of lectures, walks, discussions and public events, participants challenge the STEPS team and each other on questions of science, society and development. The school has run since 2012 with the generous support of the ESRC, IDRC and UKIERI. The fee is £1000 GBP – some scholarships are available.
Download the Brochure: STEPS Summer School 2018 (PDF)
STEPS Summer school 2017 testimonials
HOW IT WORKS
The Institute of Development Studies (IDS) is the main venue. IDS is on the edge of the Sussex University campus, set in the middle of rolling countryside but with good transport links to Brighton. The programme includes lectures and discussions, 'walkshops' – longer discussions held on walks through the surrounding area – and social events. The Summer School also includes some time in smaller groups, where participants get to reflect and discuss their own work, led and mentored by members of the STEPS Centre. The discussion in these groups goes towards a mini-conference, planned and run by participants themselves, with support from the STEPS team.